Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Iris Butterfly

"Apatura Iris" from Iris Neibach's book Iris. This butterfly is made in one pass. If the thread is wound continuous between the shuttles, there is only one pair of threads to hide at the end. I really don't know how she does it -- such beautiful and complex patterns and no cut threads! This was my first attempt at block tatting so those are a bit uneven. I kept getting confused about which direction I was supposed to be going! This one is made with DMC size 80 tatting cotton in a purple and green variegated thread. it measures 2.75 x 3 inches (7 x 7.6 cm), including the antennae. I like this butterfly a lot, and will be making another one as a gift for a friend. I just need a bit of practice first.
I also made the little Iris square from the same book, but was impoverished that day -- I couldn't pay attention. The counts on the center rings are wrong and my magic threads were so magic they just disappeared -- without taking the tail ends with 'em. Another practice piece with a dab of fabric glue on the back. I am anxious to get enough attention together to actually make one of the doilies or mats from the book.

4 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Beautiful work, Marty! I love Iris's patterns too! Oh, to have an imagination! Luckily, my mother taught me that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so I will do my best to flatter wonderful designers!

Tattycat said...

Both pieces are very pretty Marty. I especially love the butterfly and the colors. This is one of my favorite color combinations. I must get Iris' book. I haven't tried any of them, but they are so intriguing.

Tat-a-Renda said...

Your butterflies are all so beautiful Marty, and wow! working with size 80 thread, too. I don't use 80 much but I just bought a few balls of DMC Dentelles and will be trying them out as soon as I can think of what to make.

Elizabeth said...

This is gorgeous thread and your tatting is beautiful (especially in size 80 thread!) Thank you for sharing your lovely tatting with us.