Thursday, February 4, 2010

Rooster Booster

Ah-ha! Not an alien after all. I finished him last week, and then had to decide whether or not those over-long neck feathers and that mutant color made him an alien chicken. Probably not. OH, NO -- Maybe he's a naked chicken, all that pink... A pair of pants before scanning might have been in order.

Anybody who's just stumbled onto this blog might wonder why in the world I made a naked pink chicken. He's the result of doing Jane Eborall's latest TIAS (tat it and see). Pick the colors, work the pattern a piece at a time over the course of a few weeks. Et voila! It's Norman the Rooster, but not very rooster colored!

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Eye, Eye, Captain!

Nicole is really happy with her eye-decorated eye patch -- it's the only one she's worn since I finished the eye. She says it scares the boys (at her age, that's a good thing).
I didn't end up using Jane's eye pattern. I started it, using size 40 thread so it would be small enough for the patch. It's a wonderful eye, but it's made with rings. Because it was going on this yellow patch, I thought it needed to be more solid (didn't want her looking like she had jaundice).
This one is made with a Lizbeth size 40 thread. The center rose is black (for the pupil) and green (for the iris), and surrounded by sort of modified block tatting in white with a long connecting chain in black for the outline and lashes. I think it's too round and am trying to think up a better way to do it. Since it's glued to the eyepatch, thread ends don't really matter. That would make it easier to figure out an eye shaped more like her own. I don't know that she'd want it changed, though. Like I said -- this one scares the boys!
P.S. I suggested to Nicole the other night that I thought could make an eye that looked more like her own and we could change it. She said, "No Way! This one scares the boys!" I guess she'll be keeping that one.