Sunday, December 7, 2008

Gift Ornament One

Now that my gifts have wended their way across the oceans and been opened, I can show them off here.
First, a lot of split rings and some chains in variegated red and green quilting thread with a backing of white sewing cotton. This one also has red and green seed beads at most of the picot joins. The central band of split rings is not attached to any other part of the tatting -- it's just floating there. The pattern was accidentally adapted from another of my ornament patterns. Hey, I made it up, I ought to know how it goes. Nope. This worked out really well anyway -- once that central band was added.
The tatting is pinned to the green satin ornament with gold pins passed through a red seed bead. I used to lace the tatting onto the ornaments with gold or silver thread, but had a hard time getting them straight. Pinning works better for me.

5 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Beautiful! I don't know why I never thought of pinning tatting to ornaments. The effect is wonderful!

Unknown said...

WOW! Marty! I love the way you put the gold pins through the little red seed beads. It looks smashing! What a fun and easy way to put tatting on an ornament and it still looks very nice! You are very talented!

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

I love how you alternated the split rings...it gives a very artistic effect. You Rock Marty!

tattrldy said...

Beautiful! Are you going to post in on the December monthly challenge? They are doing ornaments - and this would be a great start!!

Unknown said...

Beautiful Marty, you've gone ahead and done something I have thought about! Brilliant, and your so right, these can be posted everywhere, unlike my glass ornaments that are too fragile.