Thursday, February 18, 2010

25 Motif Challenge - Number 1

At this after-Christmas sale I bought 24 unbreakable (uh-huh, it means plastic) ornaments for $2.50. About two weeks after that I bought 6 bigger ones for $1.00. Now, with a total of 3o ornaments (12 gold, 12 red, and 6 blue) sitting in the middle of my bedroom floor, I thought I'd better get busy and use them. That's when I got this really bright idea. (Rather, more like the Grinch's idea -- a wonderful, awful idea.)

In January I re-joined the 25 Motif Challenge. I challenged myself to cover 25 ornaments in the next year. That would mean I'd have to do two ornaments a month. Rrrrriiiiiiight, as if! So far I have done a grand total of (hmmm....let me count) -- it looks like ...and it is!... a total of one. This one. That means I'm two behind already. I may have bitten off more than I can chew. (But really, who eats plastic ornaments anyway?)

Be that as it may, this is an adaptation of Iris Niebach's "Beatrice" from Tatted Doilies. It is worked in size 20 Häkelgarn in a very dark green. The bottom is very loosely based on the center of the same doily. I fastened it together with strings of beads. After it was done, I thought of a better way to do it. But it's done, and I'm not taking it apart. I'll save that great thought for another time.

6 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian - Diane said...

I bought lots of unbreakable (plastic) ornaments two years ago with the same goal. So far I've finished... zero! You're way ahead of me!

sewmuchfun4 said...

It's BEAUTIFUL! That is a nice pattern. I really like the beads - you did a great job! You are way ahead in my book. Thinking about Christmas in February is dedication in my book!
:) Ann

Jane Eborall said...

Well one is a good start, I think!!! What a challenge. It doesn't sound a lot - 2 a month but ...........

Fox said...

You are way ahead of me!

I bought a bunch of those plastic balls in December at a dollar store for pennies apiece and couldn't stand the feel of them. They also had a nasty seam line running up the side. I binned them!

Fox : )

Kathy Niklewicz said...

Lovely job! I was trying to figure out how you got those connecting beads in there! When you figure out the 'easier' way, let us know! :)

I think it's a good idea to use plastic. I can't tell you how many plastic ball ornaments I have 'waiting' to do 'something' with them. I could open my own store! I also like to paint them. (More stuff to take up space in the house!)

Satin balls (with styrofoam underneath) are neat, too, because you can put pins in the tatting to hold motifs in place.

This will be an ambitious project, but I know you'll meet the 'challenge'!

Ridgetatter said...

ROTFLMBO…..LOL LOL LOL

I'VE not read anything that made me laugh as hard in a long time.
No, not at the wonderful/awful frustrations; but, at your description of the dilemma and how you 'adapted' and thought creatively ~ all the while wishing them done! LOL LOL

Thank you Marty ~ you made my day.

hugs, bJ