Monday, February 27, 2012

Little Doily

Have you got any books from which you've never made a thing?  I do.  Lots of them.  The other day (okay -- a couple of weeks ago) I dug out my copy of the DMC Book of Charted Tatting Designs and made this little doily.  It's made with Lizbeth size 40 thread and measures 8.25 inches (21 cm) at it's widest point. I can't tell you which design it is, because now I can't find the book.  I think it's either at my dad's house or in the back of my car -- maybe.  All the rings and chains are made with picots separated with three ds.  Really.  So, it's a hairy doily.  I was going to make it without all those picots -- but I have to find the book first.
 
In the meantime, I've been working on an entry for the Shuttlebirds Workshop "Go Wild" contest.  I'm beginning to wonder if it will get done before I wear out the thread unpicking, unpicking, unpicking.  The rules allow up to 8 entries (one in each category -- or is it two?).  I'll be lucky to get ONE finished!

14 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

Your doily is beautiful!

Maureen said...

That's Seashells, isn't it? - very effective colour for this doily. I don't mind the hairiness, I think it looks great!

Karen said...

Great doily, Will you be at Shuttlebirds? Karen in OR

Tat-a-Renda said...

This is beautiful.
I have the book but has not tatted anything form it either. Yours certainly looks better than the one shown in the book.

This is No. 33: Mat shown on page 32.

Riet said...

Marty, I can send you a picture of the page from the book.
I have the book and found the doily or mat as it is called in the book. It is on page 32
Just e-mail me your e-mail address.
mine is:
Surtel-Smeulde#kpnplanet.nl
Change # for @
hugs
Riet the B-engel

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Very pretty! I think I might prefer it with fewer picots also.

Are you taking shuttles with you to Shuttlebirds this year? I'd love to see what you've done!

Fox said...

What an amazing piece! It reminds me of metal spokes - especially that inner circle. Fantastic tatting.
Fox : )

Sunela said...

What a beautiful doily. I have been wanting to tat a doily and you are inspiring me now. Just need to dig up and find some patterns.

Stephanie said...

Wow, is that cute! I've never noticed this in that book before. *runs off to go look*

Margarets designer cards said...

I am glad someone else has books they have not tatted from, I have several. Lovely doily and I loke the colours.
Margaret

God's Kid said...

Your doily is so awesome!!! A showstopper!! :)

victats@gmail.com said...

It's so easly to keep collecting books and never make any of the patterns. I'm interested in seeing what it looks like without all the picots. There's alot of picots on that pattern.

Anonymous said...

Hey Marty, go for the original design category and do a free form piece. Not need to pick out mistakes cause no one would know. :)
Look forward to seeing you at Shuttlebirds.
Patti

Helen E Stephenson said...

Lovely doily. I wonder how long it took an experienced tatter like you to make this? I'm just doing my very first doily, which isn't nearly as complicated as this one, and it looks like it's going to take *forever*...