Monday, July 7, 2014

Bit of Lace


Yes, a bit of lace from "Tatting With Visual Patterns" by Mary Konior. I made a mistake, so there's a picot missing. I was going to put this on a pillowcase. After making the mistake I decided it was a good thing. This is size 20 thread. I've remade the edging in size 40, which is much better for the purpose. I finished it and joined it together last night. Now I have to wash it. No matter how many times I wash my hands when I use white thread it just looks grubby to me. Once it's washed and dried I'll sew it on the pillowcase. This is a first for me. I don't actually know why anyone would want to put lace on a pillowcase. However, it's one of the categories for entry in the State Fair and one I've not entered before. This piece might be re-purposed into a headband for a flower girl, because "wedding item" is one of the categories in the County Fair. If I use the picots as attachment points and put little beads there, nobody is going to know there's one picot missing -- there will be a bead after all.

For those of you on galloping horses, okay, those who don't have the inclination to stare at every picot on this bit, here's the error:

6 comments:

Fox said...

Yah, I know all about tatting with white; I just look at it and...shazam! Grime!

That is a very pretty border. Looks super against red! : )

Marilee Rockley said...

I looked awhile and couldn't find the missing picot. It looks perfect to me! Your headband idea sounds lovely.
My great-aunt crocheted lace edgings on some pillowcases, and I loved using them. The pillowcases eventually wore out, but I still have the crocheted lace. She used a very good thread, looks like a cordonnet to me. Someday I may get around to sewing her lace onto new pillowcases - might encourage sweet dreams :-)

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I like your headband idea... great way to hide a missing picot!

God's Kid said...

Your edging looks beautiful!!! :)

Margarets designer cards said...

Beautiful edging, I looked and could not see it, I don't think anyone would have really noticed the missing picot, but as it's for the fair you wanted it perfect.
I look forward to seeing the edging on the pillowcase.
Margaret

Tally Tatty said...


I hate that kind of mistakes, because I make them all the time. I ususally leave them.
Nice edging!