Saturday, March 7, 2009

Split Chain

Split chains are a new technique for me. As a matter of fact, I've been scared to even try 'em. (Yes, all these years tatting, cutting, and hiding threads before moving on to a new round -- pitiful, eh?)
A couple of weeks ago I went to the monthly meeting of the Bonneville Tatters and learned along with a whole bunch of other people. That was fun. So, here's my split chain. Don't look too close, though, because I think I worked from the wrong side and my stitches are frontside and backside on the same chain!
I'll be practicing this again with the "fast and easy" way of Marie Smith, courtesy Jane Eborall's techniques pages.
The motif is something I tatted up the night before the meeting so I had a piece on which to practice. I used the size 10 thread my sister dyed for me so that it would be large enough to see what I was doing (then did it backward anyway). I rather liked the motif, and think I might try to develop it into something larger -- after all I've got that split chain just waiting there...

7 comments:

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

That is a perfect split ring!

Tat-a-Renda said...

Well done, Marty. It is a good technique to know even though personally, I try to avoid putting a need for split chains in my designs. But it is a useful 'getting-out-of' method when the need arises.

Your motif is very pretty and the thread is very striking. Would love to see how you plane to add to this.

Needledreams said...

Love it! The colors, the motif, the split chain... Evrything! lol The SC were the Boggieman for me until Sheron Goldin from Palmetto show me on one of the meetings. Since then I have been using them to climb up in patterns, but as Jon I try not to use them on mine.

Can't wait to see how this one develops!

Valerie said...

I agree with Sherry. The rings look perfect!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Very pretty! I guess I should try learning some new techniques, but I'm still trying to perfect simple tatting!

Stephanie said...

I like that thread. Split chains are actually kind of fun once you get the hang of them. I had to use the demo from Mark Myers' old site becasue I couldn't figure it out. He showed how to do it on a plastic ring then I got it right away!

Art by JoyMac said...

You have done a fabulous job on this...I just love this little piece thanks for sharing
Joy