Thursday, September 16, 2010

State Fair and me

Yes! I did enter stuff at the State Fair. We've got to keep those tatting categories that exist and see if we can expand them! I entered seven things in the Home Arts Department. I was going to enter my table cloth, but didn't get it finished. I'll show it to you one of these first days. :) I mostly entered the same stuff I put in the County Fair, so you've seen all the pictures, but the ribbons are a little different. Here are my entries. The only things I hadn't entered in the County are the Valentine hanging decoration, and the cockerel bookmark -- the state tatting section had categories just for "other holidays" and "bookmark". When I didn't finish the tablecloth, I made the Valentine ornament and the bookmark. They didn't take very long. Other than a white instead of blue on the angel and a red instead of sweepstakes on the quilting-thread Cornelia I got the same ribbons as at the County Fair. If you look at the picture you can see a green and white ornament with red beads. Isn't it pretty? I've blocked out her tag so you don't get to see her name, but she's got a spiffy blue ribbon to go with her ornament. I didn't take pictures of the other tatting (very self centered of me!), but I'll be tatting at the Fair again on Saturday so I think I'll take my camera and show you what everyone else entered. Personally, I think there's not enough! Everybody needs to enter so people stop thinking tatting is a "lost art" -- we need to show them we've found it!
Oh, yes, I very nearly forgot -- probably lack of oxygen from being so high up on my soapbox. I also entered stuff in the Creative Arts division. My jewelry did well. I got a first for my pendant and earring set, and a second on my earrings. I can hardly wait until we pick everything up so I can read all the judges remarks and find out how to improve my work.

Finally, I had a very nice surprise in the Creative Arts building. You might remember the Fine Arts judge at the County Fair said I should have entered my 23rd Psalm illuminated calligraphy in Creative Arts. Okay, I did so. I forgot I'd entered it (too many things to remember) until Bonnie pointed it out. Oh, nice! There it was hanging in the corner reserved for Best of Show. I got a "big ribbon"!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Marty, my only complaint is that your pictures aren't BIGGER! ARG! I want to SEE THEM not squint at them! I REALLY admire your tatting! (take this as a compliment not a criticism -k-?) (((hugs))) :D
~TattingChic ♥

Unknown said...

PS Congrats Congrats Congrats! You must be so proud! That's such a huge accomplishment! WOW!!!!

Cindy said...

Another talented family member! Congratulations on your ribbons - your work is beautiful. That green & white ornament is very pretty, as is yours. I love your doily too - I can't imagine making a tablecloth (it would take me 10 years!) And congrats on that Best of Show for your calligraphy - wow!

Marty said...

If you click on the pictures, they get bigger. If you want to see individual pieces, look at the old blog entries about the County Fair -- I did individual pictures there.

Ridgewoman said...

I clicked and looked and admired. If I EVER figure out how to get 'round the local yokels, I'll enter somethings tatted. It's pretty closed up to 'outsiders' (I've only been here six years).

I love the calligraphy piece…beautiful. Of course your tatting is always special (to me, and I'm pleased to have my angel).

Thanks for sharing xxx bj

Kathy Niklewicz said...

Fabulous, Fabulous!! You have certainly contributed to the visibility of tatting and have made us ALL proud!! Congratulations on ALL those well deserved ribbons at BOTH Fairs!

I still love that red ball with white tatting, and I jumped up and down when I saw the Best of Show on your beautiful calligraphy! I can't believe you haven't continued with that skill - you certainly have the talent for it.
I'm so glad the judges recognized how excellent it is!!!!

I am intrigued that you will be tatting at the State Fair! How great that people will be able to see someone actually tatting! It seems that these fairs are 'near' where you live, as you have sure done a lot of traveling back and forth!

I think that double-clicking of the photos is one of the best things Blogger has done. They seem to have added that feature several months ago, with little fanfare!

By the way, that's quite the creative and talented family you have!!!! Congratulations to ALL !!!!

Unknown said...

LOL! Marty I clicked on the pics and they don't get that much bigger, my dear! :D You need a magnifying glass to see you tatting...take it as a compliment that peeps wanna see your beautiful tatting hon! :D

Marty said...

Once you click on the picture and it opens, click on the picture again, that should make it even bigger. At least it works in Firefox and IE... You can tell if it's going to work because the when you hover the cursor over the picture it looks like a little magnifying glass with a + in it.

Lelia said...

congrats on your awards. I just love going to the fairs ; )

Liyarra said...

Marty - you blow me away with your creativeness!!
I always love to look at your work and get great joy in seeing you so well rewarded for your efforts.
Congratulations