Thursday, January 6, 2011

Exchange

No, no, not the kind you do after you get something and wonder what in the world the gift giver was thinking. Really, who wears garters with bells on them? Wait ... I got distracted.

This exchange was a trade of generosity. The Christmas Exchange over at the Tatting Forums was a lot of fun, and I was lucky enough to have LaceRN as my "Secret Santa". Wow, does she know how to pack a sleigh -- well, okay, a nice tin. Isn't this a great tin? I love snowmen -- they all look so happy. I got a really magnificent hand-made card, too.

That's not all though -- the inside was packed! It contained a whole skein of Christmas HDT, an entire ball of Lizbeth size 20 Christmas green mix, and a ball of Coats & Clarks blue size 70 thread. Nice variety and colors, right? Then, to go with the thread she tucked in two shuttles. Ah, but not just ordinary shuttles -- look closer. I've got decorated, blinged, fancy-dancy shuttles. One little pink clover with sparkles and gems and one substantial, holiday-appropriate Tatsy. For garnish on the thread she packed in a whole tube of red Czech glass beads. Now these aren't wimpy little seed beads -- these are "notice me!" accent beads.
The two little glass charms certainly charmed me -- they're frogs! Frogs! Have you got that? FROGS! I collect frogs! I've got a whole shelf in my room full of frog figurines; I have frog ornaments for the tree, I've got stuffed frogs; I have a variety of frog earrings. Frogs -- I love 'em!
(I've saved the best for the last -- but it's rather like not noticing the elephant in the room, eh?)
Tatting from another tatter is especially valued -- we all know how much work goes into it. See my butterfly? It's bright, cheery and very SCMR. :) Okay, the other two elephants are obvious. Two (yeah, TWO) beautiful ornaments. These are made in size 10 thread and fastened to the ornaments with large pearl-headed pins. Only the size 10 thread would do for those pins and only those pins would work with the size 10 thread. Now, that's something I've got to try. I don't know why size 10 never occurred to me before. These ornaments are really miniature showcases for tatting. The knots are visible and the construction stands out proud. These ornaments are ones you can show a non-tatter and say, "See? THIS is tatting." Thanks, LaceRN!

8 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

She does pack a beautiful tin... bags too! : )

tattrldy said...

Wow! You must have been a very good girl this year! Such a wonderful present.

Ridgewoman said...

I’m always amazed at how much some tatters can pack in a tin or a box. I am a terrible packer and my boxes just ‘grow like Topsy’. lOl Nice lot of loot for a nice person.
luv bj

Suztats said...

Lovely exchange gifties! It's so nice when you receive items that you'll use and enjoy!

Cindy said...

Wow - what wonderful gifts! You are a lucky tatter :)

Happy New Year!

Kathy Niklewicz said...

I've somehow missed all your posts about decorating your Aero shuttles! You've been busy!!!

They're quite fun to see, and it reminds me of the time I was trying to decorate plastic Easter eggs by painting on them with Sharpie pens. Some were more successful than others, and I also learned about things NOT to do!

However, I'm wondering how you acquired so many actual Aero shuttles! It's not clear to me where they can be purchased. The Susan Bates copies are NOT the same quality!

Marty said...

Kathy, I purchased Aero Shuttles from Handy Hands (http://www.hhtating.com). These are from Germany, I don't mess with my English Aeros.

Kathy Niklewicz said...

Thanks, Marty! If only I (or any of us) had known that the English Aeros were going to disappear, I would have purchased a lot of them!

They were so inexpensive, and it seemed they were in all the craft stores. I only bought two back in the early '90s, and they were my exclusive shuttles until a local fellow made us special wood bobbin shuttles with crochet hooks built in. The only thing I objected to about the Aeros was the 'ratcheting' noise. Otherwise, I thought they were great.

I now prize my English Aeros, and use them often these days. I've even put numbered stickers on them so that I can keep track of them! I also treat them with great care!

I'm glad there was a hue and cry about the plastic hooks on the German shuttles, and I guess the improved ones have passed muster, because everyone seems to have them, and are decorating them, which is very cool. But as you said, you don't mess with your English Aeros!!